User Account Control prevents saving webdkp.lua file.

Help on setting up and using WebDKP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 pm
Just wanted to tell everyone who have problems with saving webdkp.lua file, that Windows Vista User Account Control prevents saving webdkp.lua file. I had some problems and it took while before i figured out where the problems was. Addon works fine, when you dont use User Account Control.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:48 am
Yep...Vista doesn't like Users saving stuff in the Program Files. Set yourself up as an admin, run the program as an admin, or disable UAC are about th only ways I can come up with to get around it...I guess you could try installing WoW to someplace other than your Program Files directory...but I'm not a big fan of saving stuff outside of there...for the sake of cleanliness, mostly.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:04 pm
Thanks for posting this discovery here. The first thing I did after installing Vista was Disable UAC so I never found out about this issue ;)

Post Stickied to help others.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:45 pm
Many have probably noticed that when you install WOTLK on a Vista machine, a pop-up appears saying Blizzard recommends that you move your Warcraft installation out of Program Files. If you said yes, it would create a folder in C:\Users\Public\Games. And no, someone can't hack your account by having the game in the "Public" folder...

However, I keep the WebDKP Sync tool on my desktop for easy access and was unable to sync. I thought it may be UAC since the tool wasn't in the public folder, but I do not recommend turning that off. It's nice to know when other programs are trying to do sneaky things without your knowledge...

Turns out, with your Warcraft installation (and therefore your addons) in the Public folder, UAC has no effect on WebDKP because the file you are trying to change is the .lua file in your saved variables... all I had to add was add WebDKP Sync to my Windows firewall exceptions and then it worked fine.

So in short... keep UAC on, have your Warcraft installation in the Public folder (as Blizzard recommends for the downloader to work), and open up your firewall to WebDKP Sync.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm
Hi Narcissa,

Thank you for adding that valuable information. I was not aware of the Public Folder advice on the behalf of Blizzard.

Personally I very strongly dislike the UAC feature in Windows Vista. After a fresh install, its the first thing that I disable. I'm of the view that I should be able to do whatever I want without having to confirm my actions continuously - If I screw something up, its my own damn fault ;) That's just my personal view though :)

Thanks again for the info,

Cheers,
Zedd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:05 am
narcissa wrote:Many have probably noticed that when you install WOTLK on a Vista machine, a pop-up appears saying Blizzard recommends that you move your Warcraft installation out of Program Files. If you said yes, it would create a folder in C:\Users\Public\Games. And no, someone can't hack your account by having the game in the "Public" folder...

However, I keep the WebDKP Sync tool on my desktop for easy access and was unable to sync. I thought it may be UAC since the tool wasn't in the public folder, but I do not recommend turning that off. It's nice to know when other programs are trying to do sneaky things without your knowledge...

Turns out, with your Warcraft installation (and therefore your addons) in the Public folder, UAC has no effect on WebDKP because the file you are trying to change is the .lua file in your saved variables... all I had to add was add WebDKP Sync to my Windows firewall exceptions and then it worked fine.

So in short... keep UAC on, have your Warcraft installation in the Public folder (as Blizzard recommends for the downloader to work), and open up your firewall to WebDKP Sync.

How should I do that with the firewall? What to put in there? Website address or..?

Return to Help